The Equal Opportunity/ADA Office seeks to facilitate a welcoming and inclusive environment which supports the right of every member of the Carolina community to learn and work in an atmosphere that promotes fairness, equity and access to its employment and educational programs.
The mission of the Equal Opportunity/ADA Office is to provide leadership and guidance in support of the University’s commitment to equal opportunity, affirmative action and diversity; effectively partner with leaders and members of the university community to promote equity and fairness in employment, education and university life; and continually advocate for a diverse, welcoming, and inclusive environment at UNC-Chapel Hill.
The Office carries out its mission by:
- Developing and implementing equal opportunity/affirmative action policies and procedures and ensuring compliance with applicable local, state and federal laws and regulations;
- Advising and assisting the Chancellor, Senior Administrative Officers and the university community regarding equal opportunity matters;
- Providing access and accommodation assistance to employees and applicants with disabilities consistent with the Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA);
- Receiving, investigating, and working collaboratively to resolve complaints of harassment and/or discrimination;
- Monitoring recruitment efforts and selection decisions, and providing guidance in adhering to UNC’s nondiscrimination and equal opportunity guidelines;
- Communicating the University’s commitment through training and education programs on harassment and discrimination prevention, and other equal opportunity/ADA topics.